This blog is my journey into a healthier culinary world. I love food and I love cooking and I would love to build my own recipe book of my favorite healthy dishes, that are easy to make on school nights when everything is chaotic!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Sriracha-Glazed Chicken and Onions over Ramen

All day I've been in the mood for spicy.  I am also on a limited budget until pay day.  I sat at work and thought of everything I had in my fridge and my pantry and decided to make Sriracha-glazed chicken.  I had everything but fresh ginger root.  I was planning on making plain chicken for the boys, but Kevin was home and he wanted fish sticks and mac & cheese, luckily we had everything for those!  I stopped at the store and picked up ginger root and a couple of apples and headed home with thoughts of spicy sweetness crossing my lips.  The recipe is quick and to the point, another quick fix for a week night dinner.  I really wish I had jasmine rice, but figured I could use up ramen from the pantry.  I got everything out and as my mandolin was running in the dishwasher, decided against slicing my onion into rings and used the alligator chopper to dice it.  I also minced the ginger, measured out some pre-minced garlic and got my curry powder ready.  I put some oil in a hot pan and sweated the onions and garlic before adding the chicken to cook.  With the chicken went the ginger and curry powder.  The fragrance lifted through the air and made me salivate!  If this dish only tastes half as good as it smells cooking I know I'll be in love!  When the chicken was cooked through I put in the hoisin, ketchup and sriracha mixture and let it cook for a minute or 2 while I seperated the ramen into 2 servings, one for dinner and one for lunch tomorrow.  I then placed a breast in my tupperware and one on my plate covering each generously with the onions and glaze.  I was dying to take a bite, but snapped a photo before devouring the delightful smelling dish before me.  The dish may not look pretty or colorful (next time will have a brightly colored side like edamame or snow peas) but the taste and heat was nothing less than amazing.  The chili in the sriracha danced on my tongue igniting little flames of pleasure as the sweet flavors of ginger, carmelized onions and hoisin washed over my taste buds.  This recipe will be going into the favorite stack!

Delightfully spicy!

RECIPE:

Ingredients
1 (3 1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag long-grain rice or 2 packages ramen (omit seasoning)
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 1/4 teaspoons Sriracha (hot chile sauce, such as Huy Fong)
1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
1 1/2 cups presliced onion
1 tablespoon bottled minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
3/4 teaspoon curry powder
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch-thick slices

Preparation
Prepare rice or ramen according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.

While rice or ramen cooks, combine hoisin, ketchup, and Sriracha in a small bowl.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add ginger and remaining ingredients; sauté 6 minutes or until chicken is done. Stir in hoisin mixture; cook 1 minute, tossing to coat. Serve over rice or ramen.

Nutritional Information
Calories:326 (20% from fat)
Fat:7.3g (sat 0.9g,mono 3.6g,poly 2.1g)
Protein:29.5g
Carbohydrate:34g
Fiber:2.2g
Cholesterol:66mg
Iron:2mg
Sodium:338mg
Calcium:35mg

No comments:

Post a Comment