This blog is my journey into a healthier culinary world. I love food and I love cooking and I would love to build my own recipe book of my favorite healthy dishes, that are easy to make on school nights when everything is chaotic!

Monday, August 23, 2010

Chicken, Mushroom, and Gruyere Quesadillas with Watermelon Jicama salad

Yesterday I was looking for inspiration to put a new recipe to the test while using up the chicken in my freezer!  I had bought a Chicken Tonight Cooking Light cookbook awhile ago, so I dusted off the cover and found something that looked easy for a quick dinner.  I came across the quesadillas and the salad and when we got to the store and Brendan asked for watermelon I knew I'd made a good choice on menu.  I set off grabbing all the ingredients, including jicama and as it was a new ingredient for me I was eager to try it.

When I got home last night, I cut up the watermelon, jicama, onion and cucumber for the salad to make it easier for today.  Also, I wanted to try out the jicama.  It's crispy like an apple but with a much more mild flavor.  I let the boys try it and they liked it also.  I knew I was OK, but would have some issue if Cody noticed there was onion in both the quesadillas and the salad. 

I was late getting home tonight due to an unexpected doctor visit, so I am glad I had pre-cut all the stuff for the salad.  I put the chicken on to grill, lightly seasoned with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.  I then tossed all the salad ingredients together and sliced the lemon to squeeze the lemon juice for the dressing, measured out the sugar and olive oil and mixed it.  I took the chicken off, put some olive oil in the pan and put in some baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced onion and some sea salt and ground black pepper.  I sauteed until soft, then added the garlic, sauteed some more and then added red wine vinegar.  I removed from heat, sliced up the chicken which had been resting and grated the gruyere.  I then assembled the quesadillas and put them in my quesadilla maker (I know that's cheating!!) 

Reviews:

Cody: Thumbs up
Mommy, why are there leaves in mine?  I don't want leaves in mine!  Looks at his almost empty plate.  Hey mommy, can I have another, this time with no leaves?  Mommy, these chicken mushroom things are good.  Mommy, the salad is too spicy why are there spicy bits in it??  (Spicy bits are red onions)

Brendan: Thumbs up
Eats 1/2 the salad before Cody said something, then he tosses his out, after telling me it was yummy, all to please his big brother.  Also says one more peease mommy, it's yummmmm. 

Mommy:  Thumbs up
Taste tested the components seperately.  Mushroom mixture flavorful, chicken, moist and seasoned perfectly, gruyere is a bit smoky.  Together, it almost tastes like it was all grilled, a rich, smoky flavor with the slight sweetness of spinach (yes the leaves Cody complained about.) I agreed with the boys, we will make this again, next time I'll try mine with the more peppery arugula, however this time spinach was on sale..so well, I cheaped out! 

The salad was cool and refreshing, perfect for summer and will hold up well with BBQ foods.  I will make again!!  Oh and I'm not much of a melon person!

This is a keeper!!  It's easy, flavorful and a 1 pan meal!

So here's the picture of my dinner!  Mind you this is on a salad plate, not a dinner plate, I used smaller tortillas to allow for my kid's smaller appetites and mouths.

My serving


RECIPES

Ingredients


1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup presliced mushrooms
1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1 tablespoon sherry or red wine vinegar
2 (10-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
1 cup shredded cooked chicken breast (about 8 ounces)
1 cup arugula
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
Cooking spray

Preparation
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add mushrooms, sliced onion, salt, and pepper to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, and sauté 30 seconds. Add vinegar; cook 30 seconds or until liquid almost evaporates.

2. Arrange half of mushroom mixture over half of each tortilla. Top each tortilla with 1/2 cup chicken, 1/2 cup arugula, and 1/4 cup cheese; fold tortillas in half.

3. Wipe pan clean with a paper towel. Heat pan over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add tortillas to pan. Place a heavy skillet on top of tortillas; cook 2 minutes on each side or until crisp.

Watermelon-jicama salad: Combine 4 cups (1/2-inch) cubed seedless watermelon, 1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled jicama, 1 cup chopped English cucumber, and 1/2 cup chopped red onion. Add 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 2 teaspoons sugar, and 1 teaspoon olive oil; toss well.


Nutritional Information
Calories:270
Fat:8.9g (sat 3.7g,mono 3g,poly 0.8g)
Protein:25.2g
Carbohydrate:20.3g
Fiber:3g
Cholesterol:64mg
Iron:1.7mg
Sodium:391mg
Calcium:242mg

No comments:

Post a Comment