This blog is my journey into a healthier culinary world. I love food and I love cooking and I would love to build my own recipe book of my favorite healthy dishes, that are easy to make on school nights when everything is chaotic!

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Asian Chicken and Mushrooms on Jasmine Rice

Sorry for being blogless yesterday, but my mother-in-law was admitted to the hospital so I didn't cook, Kevin had made pizza before I got home, so I ate a little and we headed out.  I dropped him off at the hospital and the boys and I hit the park, then we all went for frozen yogurt, the grocery store and home. 

Well, tonight I made up for it by making chicken and mushrooms.  The fresh ginger made the whole house fragrant.  I started by crushing garlic, peeling ginger and grating it, cutting scallions then stir-frying them, my kids were like what smells yummy!  They came in and watched me cook.  We taste tested once we got to everything in the sauce step and the kids thought it was great, they sampled so much they barely ate dinner!!!

Reviews:
Cody: These mushrooms taste yummmmmmmmmmm.  I want more!!!

Bren:  MMMM  Mushrooms yummy

Mommy:  My first attempt at chinese that isn't a typical stir-fry, this stuff is definitely worth making again!!

Yum..mushrooms!
RECIPE

1-1 1/2 cups Jasmine rice

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 inch piece fresh ginger root, grated
5 spring onions (scallions), diagonally sliced
1 fresh green chile, seeded and finely sliced
3 skinless, boneless chicken breast portions, cut into thin strips
5 oz tofu, cut into small cubes
4 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced (stems discarded)
1 tablespoon sake or dry sherry
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 tsp granulated sugar
1 2/3 cups chicken stock

Cook the rice in lightly salted boiling water following the instructions on the package.  While the rice is cooking, heat the oil in a large frying pan.  Stir-fry the garlic, ginger, spring onions, and chile for 1-2 minutes until slightly softened.  Add the strips of chicken and fry, in batches if necessary, until all the pieces are evenly browned.  Transfer the chicken mixture to a plate using a slotted spoon, and add tofu to pan.  Stir-fry the tofu for a few minutes, then add the mushrooms.  Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes over medium heat until the mushrooms are tender.  Stir in the sake or sherry, soy sauce and sugar and cook the mixture briskly for 1-2 minutes, stirring all the time.  Return the chicken to the pan, toss over the heat for about 2 minutes, then pour in the stock.  Stir well and cook over a gentle heat for 5-6 minutes until the sauce is bubbling.  Spoon the cooked rice into individual serving bowls and pile the chicken mixture on top, making sure that each portion gets a generous amount of chicken sauce.

Each portion is 408 calories!

No comments:

Post a Comment