This blog is my journey into a healthier culinary world. I love food and I love cooking and I would love to build my own recipe book of my favorite healthy dishes, that are easy to make on school nights when everything is chaotic!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Balsamic Honey Chicken

OK, so I decided to do something that would appeal to my little honey bears.  I had all the ingredients already so this was a no brainer.  I opened the ziploc to be bombarded by a honey vs balsamic mash up.  I put the chicken in the pan and started it cooking, the smell turned to overwhelmingly sweet honey.  Yum!  I sauteed spinach and made the mashed potatoes while it cooked. 

Reviews:

Cody: Yummmy mommy, it isn't spicy, it's HONEY!!!  I like it!  (Cody doesn't eat potatoes or spinach - see quesadilla post for his view on this!)  Cody almost made a clean plate, he got anxious and wanted to play Little Big Planet.

Bren: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz (will let you know if he ever wakes up!!)

Mommy: OK, I think I need to season it more with salt and pepper next time to cut through the sweet.  I will try again before I decide to make this a permanent resident in my cookbook.  I went light worried that my love of pepper would make it too spicy for my kids. 


Sweet with just a little tang

RECIPE:

1 lb chicken breast, pounded to about 1/2 inch thickness

1/4 cup aged balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup local honey
2 cloves garlic, smashed and finely minced
1 tbsp minced onion
1/4 tsp salt
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp oil

Combine all of the ingredients except the oil in a large zip-lock bag and marinate for up to 8 hours, a minimum of 1 hour. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking to ensure really tender chicken. You can even prepare the marinade and chicken in advance in the zip-lock bags and freeze for later, it will marinate as it thaws which couldn’t be more convenient! Once the chicken has finished marinating in the balsamic honey mixture, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade, discarding the leftover marinade, and season each side of the chicken with salt and pepper and add the oil to the hot pan. When the oil shimmers, add the chicken and cook on each side for about 4 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. The outside will become a little black and charred but it will not be burnt (unless you actually burn it). Remove the chicken from the pan and allow it to rest for a few minutes before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment