This blog is my journey into a healthier culinary world. I love food and I love cooking and I would love to build my own recipe book of my favorite healthy dishes, that are easy to make on school nights when everything is chaotic!

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Mushroom Chicken Roll-ups

This blog will be brief as Cody had homework, I had to make dinner and do dishes and it is getting late (well for me!!)  I was set to make an asian insprired chicken and mushroom dish tonight, but early this morning Cody crawled up in my lap and I asked him what he wanted for dinner, his answer: chicken nuggets and mushrooms!  Well, not exactly asian so I decided to come up with something else.  I figured why not stuff chicken with mushrooms and bread it like a chicken nugget.  I went ahead and bought the stuff for the chinese meal for tomorrow and got everything I needed that I didn't have to make the "mock chicken nugget stuffed with mushrooom."

Reviews:

Cody: This isn't chicken nuggets. What is it?  It's chicken filled with mushrooms!  Oh, OK.  Takes a bite.  Mommy the mushrooms are yummmmmy!  Cody, you should eat some chicken too.  OK.  Mommy I'm done!!!  Do you want this again, yes, with lots more mushrooms!
Bren: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz (will let you know if he ever wakes up!!  However, an update from last night, he did really like last night's dinner although it was cold when he got up!)

Mommy: OK, I think I need to tweak this some more, the mushroom stuffing was perfect, but something was missing in the chicken (must season the chicken differently.)  The mashed potatoes and corn weren't my original planned sides, but I was tired and didn't have patience to make my planned side.

Cody inspired roll ups!

RECIPE:

2 tablespoons butter

1/2 pound button mushrooms, chopped
1 small shallot, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons dry white wine
3/4 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon thyme
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
olive oil
3/4 cup heavy cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

To Make Mushroom Filling: Melt 2 TBSP butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, shallots, wine, salt and pepper and saute together, stirring, until mushrooms are dark. Remove skillet from heat; stir in nutmeg.

Spoon mushroom mixture onto the end of each chicken breast, roll up and fasten with toothpicks. Place seam side down in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Brush olive oil over breasts, then roll in combination of parmesan, paprika, thyme and bread crumbs. Pour cream over all.

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.

No comments:

Post a Comment