This blog is my journey into a healthier culinary world. I love food and I love cooking and I would love to build my own recipe book of my favorite healthy dishes, that are easy to make on school nights when everything is chaotic!

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Sage Risotto with Fresh Mozzarella and Prosciutto

OK, let me preface this by saying this is my first time making risotto and eating leeks.  I knew risotto was ambitious as it is easily messed up.  I have to say I did OK, not perfect, but worth trying again.  This is not something to make on a rushed night or one you are dead tired, it requires a lot of stirring.  I recommend having everything minced, sliced, diced, etc before you start. 

Reviews:
Cody: MMM the meat is good (he picked a piece up to try before eating the risotto.)  It's rice mommy, it's OK but I don't want it.  If it had mushrooms I'd eat it!

Brendan: mmm  is it good Bren  mmmhmmmmmm  (Ate it all but the prosciutto)

Holly: Risotto is the tiniest bit undercooked (mental note, 20 minutes might not be long enough on the broth part...or use the better Calphalon) The flavor is great, I could see this being just as good with basil instead of sage.  The prosciutto goes really well!!

MMM Prosciutto and cheese!!!

RECIPE

2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup finely chopped leek
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/4 cups Arborio rice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
1 cup (4 ounces) finely chopped fresh mozzarella cheese
2 ounces prosciutto, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Sage sprigs (optional)

Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
Melt butter in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add leek and garlic; cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add rice and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine; cook 2 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total). Stir in chopped sage, and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in mozzarella. Spoon 1 cup risotto into each of 4 bowls; top each serving with about 1 1/2 tablespoons prosciutto. Sprinkle with black pepper. Garnish with sage sprigs, if desired.

Nutritional Information
Calories:443 (25% from fat)
Fat:12.3g (sat 7g,mono 3g,poly 1g)
Protein:18.8g
Carbohydrate:59.6g
Fiber:1.4g
Cholesterol:43mg
Iron:1.3mg
Sodium:863mg
Calcium:193mg

No comments:

Post a Comment